Limon, Rivas | Nicaragua
NEW INTERNSHIP in Latin America! Casa Verde is a non-profit organization located in Portland, Oregon. In partnership with Formacion Fenix, Casa Verde internships offer young leaders the chance to guide other youth - creating opportunities to go local and get real! Through intercultural team projects and experiential education workshops, interns and their local team will develop a global perspective while creating community assets.
About the Organization
Mission: Casa Verde provides youth, from all backgrounds, the experiences, sustainable resources and skills necessary to reach their highest potential in globalized society.
We believe education is the foundation for all true innovation and social change. We teach young people how to work in any group, live in any place, and imagine creative solutions to any challenge.
The Casa Verde Internship Program offers young leaders the chance to guide other youth – creating opportunities to go local & get real! Through intercultural team projects and experiential education workshops, interns working with the Nicaraguan team will develop a global perspective while creating community assets.
Our interns are tactical staff members, not just assistants. With a Casa Verde internship, you will get real management and hands-on experience acting as a Project Coordinator. Our interns have the opportunity to build upon a local community project, while acting as a peer and project leader.
This is a wonderful opportunity to intern in Central America and learn more about Nicaraguan cultural!
Interns with Casa Verde will be working directly with our local youth leadership program, Formacion Fenix, and our participants on service-learning programs abroad.
Fenix is a community-based project, empowering young Nicaraguans through cultural, environmental and educational programming. The goal is to offer participants the skills and resources necessary to dream big. The project includes hands-on entrepreneurial training, college prep services and scholarships, educational field trips and community service.
Examples of internships projects with Casa Verde, Fenix and the community of Limon 2 may include:
- Entrepreneurship/Business Management Capacity-Building
- Environmental & Outdoor Education
- Developing College Prep Resources
- Creating Guatemala-Nicaragua youth Exchange Program
- Family and Children Services, Skill-Building, Capacity-Building
- Project Coordinator for Service-learning Program
- Minimum commitment is 10 weeks, but may be extended
- Implement program promotion and participant recruitment strategy
- Develop mentor/service provider relationship with program participants, including maintaining regular and professional contact, and responding to concerns
- Communicate and document project work plans, activities, materials and purchases throughout program
- Coordinate and supervise community project, including the overall completion of project and performance of peer participants.
- Coordinate and conduct exit interviews and evaluations with participants and local partners.
# of Positions per term
Winter, Spring, and Summer terms only
Duration of Internship
Minimum 10 weeks
Experience and education related to human development, social services and education highly desired. Academic interests and experience in the following areas may also align with internship projects:
- Human Services
- Human/Community Development
- Public Policy
- Environmental Science
- Tourism & Outdoor Leadership
- Spanish & Latin American Studies
- Non-Profit Administration
- Ability to pass a state and national background check
- Intermediate Spanish language skills
- Experience related to project planning & successful implementation
- Demonstrated ability to be successful outside of one’s own culture
- Leadership skills, particularly competence with diversity and team building
- Demonstrated ability to complete both detail-oriented & creative-thinking tasks
Intermediate Spanish language skills (generally 2nd or 3rd year university study or equivalent); however, in-country intensive Spanish language courses available if needed.
Preferred qualifications included:
- Advanced Spanish language skills
- Experience traveling or living abroad
- Academic or professional experience in project content area
- Demonstrated project or team leadership experience
- Demonstrated child, youth or family service experience
Total costs vary depending on how long you plan to be abroad, where you will be living, your personal spending habits, and current exchange rates. The following estimates will give you a ballpark figure for this internship. Get help with the math from our handy Cost Calculator and currency converter.
ALL ESTIMATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
IE3 Program Fee
The IE3 program fee is $3450 for the first term for both in-state and out-of-state students and $1000 for each additional term. This fee includes up to 12 credits per term, and is charged in lieu of tuition. Visit your University's IE3 page for details regarding campus administrative fees.
Estimated One-Time Expenses
|Visa Fees||$10 entry, $35 departure*|
*See Additional Cost Information below.
Estimated Monthly Expenses
|Housing||$820 (includes room, three meals/day, purified water, laundry, and personal bike)|
|Food||Included in accomodation|
The Intern will have the opportunity to:
- Improve upon skills and knowledge related to: project and volunteer management, critical and analytic thinking, sustainable living & global citizenship
- Increase cultural competency and Spanish language skills living and working with local families in Limon.
- Pair with a local community mentor, meeting 1- to -1 for insight into local culture, practicing & learning local Spanish, and support in connecting with local stakeholders.
Additional Expense Information
Visa Fees: Visa and entry requirements and fees change frequently. Please consult the U.S. State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs website for up-to-date information.
Homestay Accommodation: Private room, 3 meals/day, purified water, load of laundry weekly, and personal bicycle! $195/weekly
Entertainment: $50-150, Examples include: $50/overnight excursion, $3-10 restaurant meal, $5 yoga class/surf lesson, $1 hot springs
Local Bus Transport: Average $10/weekly
Additional Expenses: Cell Phone & Internet Service ($25-$100/monthly)
The village of Limon is located 20 miles southeast of the city of Rivas in the Pacific lowlands region of Nicaragua. The region is popular for coastal tourism, namely surfing, and is known for its colonial heritage, beach communities, mountains, and volcanoes.
More on Casa Verde and Formacion Fenix
Casa Verde has partnered with Formacion Fenix to support sustainable living through community education and youth empowerment. Fénix is a community-based project empowering young Nicaraguans through cultural, environmental and educational programming. The goal is to offer participants the skills and resources necessary to dream big. To learn more about Formacion Fenix and their current projects, visit http://casaverdeconnects.com/fenix
Additional Resources and Videos:
Casa Verde's YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/casaverdeconnex
Video on intern project: Documentary Skillshare: The Faces of Fenix